Information about advertising on GoodRx
Last updated: January 1, 2023
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Notice at Collection: Please click here to read our CCPA Privacy Notice for additional information, including with respect to your rights, under the CCPA.
Quick guide to contents
- What information do we collect about you?
- How do we use information about you?
- How do we share information with others?
- What choices do you have?
- Additional privacy disclosures
- Children’s privacy
- Third-party services and websites
- How do we protect your information?
- What about changes to this notice?
- Who can you contact with questions or concerns?
1. What information do we collect about you?
The information we collect about you depends on the context. This could include information that could be used to personally identify you – either on its own or when combined with other information.
The information may include the following categories:
- Personal Identifier and Other Information: Your name, date of birth, postal and email address, phone number, driver’s license or other government identification number, username, and password.
- Commercial Information: Your purchase and usage history, goods and service preferences, insurance information, demographic information, interest information, payment and account information, and communications with us.
- Prescription Information: Your prescription, pharmacy, insurance, and healthcare provider information.
- Internet/Electronic Activity, Device Information, Usage Information: Your geolocation information, Internet Protocol (IP) address information that may identify your computer, mobile device, tablet, or other device or browser, information about your operating system and browser, including the hardware model and mobile network information web/app browsing and search history related to our Services, and information regarding your interactions with the Services or GoodRx advertising may be collected by us or other companies we work with. Our URLs, pages, screens, and content may include drug names and information and condition names and information. In addition to other uses described herein, we and other companies may use this information to, among other things, provide the Services, help diagnose problems with our servers, analyze trends, track users’ web page, email, and mobile application movements/activities, help identify or gather demographic information, and target and retarget online and mobile advertisements to you across computers or devices you may use.
- Profile Inferences: Inferences that we draw from the above categories of information and web activity to create a personalized profile so we can better identify goods and services that may be of interest to you.
- Professional Information: For healthcare providers, your National Provider Number (“NPI”), medical specialty or other professional credential information.
There are several ways we may obtain information about you, including from:
I. You, when you provide us information, including through our subsidiaries and affiliates, to use our Services;
II. You, when you interact with certain technologies that power our Services that are automatically or passively collected; and
III. Third parties
A. Information You Provide to Us
When you use the Services, you may provide certain information to obtain our products or use the Services. For example, we may ask for information when you register to create an account, update your information, sign up for price alerts or promotions, email or text yourself a coupon, request a discount card or coupon, transfer or send a prescription to a pharmacy through GoodRx, sign up for a pharmaceutical manufacturer’s copay card program, access healthcare provider services, purchase products or services, participate in promotions, submit digital enrollment forms, conduct benefits checks or prior authorizations or otherwise communicate with us.
B. Information We Collect Automatically
In addition to any information that you may provide to us, we and the third parties we work with may use a variety of technologies that automatically (or passively) when you use the Services. We may automatically collect certain information from you, including your IP address, device information for the computer, mobile device, tablet or other device, including the hardware model and mobile network information, browser type, operating system, products or services you purchase or access, content, screens or pages viewed and interactions with content, screens or pages, URL and the preceding page views or websites visited, what third party referred you to our Services, and mobile device configurations. Our URLs, pages, screens, and content may include drug names and information and condition names and information. We may also automatically collect information about your use of the Services, including the date and time you visit the Services; use or click through to any of the Services; the information, content, or advertisements you view, hover over, or click on; the amount of time you spend viewing or using the Services; the number of times you return to the Services; other click-stream or site usage data; and emails that you open, forward or click-through to our Services. In addition to other uses described herein, we and other companies may use this information to, among other things, provide the Services, help diagnose problems with our servers, analyze trends, track users’ web page, email, and mobile application movements/activities, help identify or gather demographic and interest information, and target and retarget online and mobile advertisements to you across computers or devices you may use.
- Third-Party Technologies: We may use other companies’ analytics, tracking and provided tools that receive information when you use our Services, including technology from Google, Facebook and others, to help us track, segment, and analyze usage of the Services, and to help us or those companies serve more targeted advertising on the Services and across the Internet. These tools may use technology such as cookies, tags, pixels, SDKs, and similar technologies to track online activity. The companies may also combine information they collect from your interaction with the Services with information they collect from other sources. We may not have access to information these companies collect using cookies or other tracking technologies.
C. Information We Collect from Third Parties
We also may receive your information and your household from third parties to enhance our Services. This information may allow us to send you promotions that interest you or serve advertisements to you that match your interests and concerns. This information may be collected in the following ways:
- Healthcare Professionals: We may receive information from your healthcare professionals. For example, some healthcare professionals who use GoodRx may text or email you a coupon. In order to receive a coupon from your healthcare professional, you must provide your contact information and your prescription information. Your healthcare professional may then share that information with us in order to send you the coupon. Healthcare professionals may also submit digital enrollment forms, or conduct benefits checks or prior authorizations, on your behalf. We also receive information about you from our Medical Groups (as defined below) and other healthcare partners.
- Marketing Partners: We may work with third parties to conduct marketing campaigns, collect data and/or identify users or potential users of our Services or other products or services. Such third parties may collect and provide us with information about you such as name, contact information, medical information (such as condition and prescription), demographic information, interest information, information regarding online activities across devices and online platforms and offline activities such as purchase history.
- Referral Program User: If you click on a referral link sent to you by a referring person, we will send emails or text messages inviting you to use our Services. These emails or text messages may include your name and other information related to the referral. Additionally, if you send a referral link to another person, we will send emails or text messages inviting that referred person to use our Services, or provide you a link that you can send to that person. Please visit the “Additional Privacy Disclosures” section for more information on referrals.
- Data Partners: We may enhance your information with information from third parties, including professional and contact information, medical information (such as condition and prescription), demographic information, interest information, information regarding online activities across devices and online platforms and offline activities such as purchase history. For healthcare providers who are participants in Healthcare Communications Network provided by DMD Marketing Corp, we may receive information such as name and professional information (e.g., NPI, medical specialty) when you use our Services.
- Pharmacy benefit managers or pharmacies. Most prescriptions purchased in the United States, including prescriptions filled using discount coupons, loyalty cards, or insurance copays, result in the pharmacy reporting patient data back to the pharmacy benefit manager. When you use a coupon provided by GoodRx, we receive information about the transaction from the corresponding pharmacy benefit manager or the applicable pharmacy.
- Health Insurance Plans. We may work with certain health plans or the pharmacy benefit managers to provide price comparison or access to our pricing and discounts in relation to your insurance plan and these entities may share your prescription information with us.
We may combine the various information we collect about you, including account information, identifying information, usage information, as well as information collected offline, across other computers or devices that you may use, and from third-party sources.
2. How do we use information about you?
We may use your information to provide our Services and for a variety of related business activities, which may include:
- Creating, Updating or Managing User Profiles and Accounts: We may use your information to create user profiles and accounts, or otherwise manage your account.
- Communicating With You: We may use your information to communicate with you on websites, mobile applications, and third-party platforms, as well as via text messages, emails, direct mail, and other forms of advertising.
- Advertising and Marketing: We may use your information to advertise and market to you on websites, mobile applications, and third-party platforms, as well as via text messages, emails, direct mail, and other forms of advertising. This may include retargeting you on third-party platforms. We may use and share your information to send advertising and marketing of our Services and other services we believe you may find interesting and may share information with advertisers and other third parties. We may also use and share your information to measure the effectiveness of advertising and marketing, to predict effectiveness of advertising and marketing, to find audience for advertising and marketing, and other analytics and operations related to advertising and marketing.
We may also permit third parties to collect your information over time, your interactions with GoodRx or across third-party websites, mobile applications and/or online services, including those that assist us in operating our Services, including to serve ads or provide messaging to you on our own websites and mobile applications or on third-party platforms.
We also use third-party advertising companies to serve and load ads on certain parts of our Services, including an ad server to provide advertising when you use our website. These companies may use internet or electronic information about our Services and other websites and mobile applications in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
- Business Operations: We may use your information to understand your use of our Services in order to consider improving them, including to provide, change, market, or optimize our services and products, to perform analytics and to create new services and products. We also may use your information to determine whether applicable policies and terms are being violated.
- Reviews: We may use your information to obtain user surveys, recommendations, and reviews of the Services.
- Security and Auditing: We may use your information to audit interactions with you, count ad impressions, detect security incidents, protect against fraud or other malicious activity, and identify and repair errors that may arise.
- Complying with Law: We may use your information to comply with applicable laws, including as required by judicial or administrative proceedings.
We may also use your information for other purposes as disclosed at the time you provide your information, or otherwise with your consent.
3. How do we share information with others?
We may share your information with companies that we work with or provide services to us in the ways described below.
A. Affiliates and Subsidiaries
We may share information with our subsidiaries and affiliated companies for business and operational purposes.
B. Service Providers and Third Parties
We may share your information with the following service providers and third parties to perform services on our behalf such as:
- Data warehouses, servers, and storage providers
- Data analytic, data connectivity and customer data providers and platforms
- Customer engagement or relationship management platforms
- Advertising networks, advertising software tools, advertising servers, advertisers, sponsors and partners that market and advertise to you and measure performance of marketing and advertisements
- Cloud computing providers
- Survey and customer feedback providers and platforms
- Mailing houses and delivery services
- Data providers
- Software development tools
- Referral program platforms
- Pharmacies, healthcare providers, pharmaceutical manufacturers, copay card providers, insurance plans and other entities in the healthcare ecosystem
- Data providers, email delivery, and analytics software
- Text delivery and analytics platform
- Customer service software
- Patient advocacy support providers to handle your requests
- Privacy management platform, such as to manage deletion requests
- Prepaid card and gift card vendor
- Credit card and payment processers that process your credit card information (in cases where you provide us with your credit card information) and track payments
- Information security, fraud detection and prevention providers
- Identity and professional credential verification providers
- Auditors, third parties conducting security assessments and services, law firms, staff augmentation firms and other professional services providers
C. For Corporate Transactions
D. For Legal Obligations/Safety
We may be required by law to comply with a valid legal process, such as a subpoena, court order, or search warrant, or where there is a lawful request, to disclose your information without your consent or notice. We may also be required to disclose your information to a third party or governmental entity in response to a court order. We may disclose your information to protect the security of our Services, servers, network systems, and databases.
E. To Enforce Legal Rights
We may also share your information to protect our customers, employees, or property; in emergency situations; to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding suspected illegal activity, fraud, or other wrongdoing; and to enforce our rights under our terms of service and policies, in court or elsewhere.
4. What choices do you have?
A. Cookies and Do Not Track
We, or other parties we do business with, may place or recognize unique cookies or other similar technologies on your browser when you visit our Services to collect information about your use of the Services and your other online activities over time and across different websites and apps, and may use that information to serve interest-based advertisements to you as you browse the Internet.
To control what cookies are collected when you are on our website, please click on the “Cookie Preferences” link at the bottom of the applicable webpage.
You may adjust your device or Internet browser settings to limit certain tracking or to decline cookies, but by doing so, the performance of your device or browser may prevent you from being automatically recognized upon revisiting and you may not be able to use certain features of the Service or take full advantage of all of our offerings. Please refer to your device’s settings or your Internet browser’s “Help” section for more information on how to delete and/or disable your device or browser from receiving cookies or controlling your tracking preferences.
Except as set forth in the CCPA Privacy Notice with respect to Global Privacy Control (GPC), we do not respond to browser “Do Not Track” signals.
B. Your Privacy Rights
In addition to the privacy rights we provide to California residents (see CCPA Privacy Notice linked above), we provide the following privacy rights:
1. Virginia Rights: Under the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (VCDPA), Virginia residents can:
a. Submit a request to confirm processing of personal information and to access such personal information by visiting https://www.goodrx.com/datarequest. We use the information submitted via the form strictly for verification purposes.
b. Submit a request to correct inaccuracies in their personal information by logging in to their account and editing the information therein. Please note that we may be unable to process certain requests to correct, depending on the nature of the information and the purposes of the processing of the personal information.
c. Opt out of processing of “personal information” for “targeted advertising,” “sales,” and “profiling,” to the extent applicable. You can submit an opt-out request by visiting “Your Privacy Choices” and following the instructions therein.
d. Appeal our refusal to act on a relevant request by responding to the email that states such refusal.
2. Deletion: Users nationwide can submit a request for deletion by visiting https://www.goodrx.com/requestdeletion. Prior to fulfilling your request, we will need to verify your identity, which may require additional pieces of information. We use the information submitted via the form strictly for verification purposes.
3. To be removed from our physical mailing list, contact us in writing at the mailing address listed in the contact section below.
4. To unsubscribe from GoodRx text marketing messages, please reply STOP to the message. To unsubscribe from marketing emails, please use the link located at the bottom of the marketing email.
5. Additional privacy disclosures
A. GoodRx Care
GoodRx Care offers a platform that enables healthcare professionals (“Providers”) and patients to connect virtually for medical visits.
Your Provider is responsible for providing you with a Notice of Privacy Practices, which describes how the entities in the Medical Group (as defined below) may use and disclose your Protected Health Information. If you do not agree to be bound by those terms, which are available here, you are not authorized to access or use GoodRx Care services.
Note that we currently contract with the following medical groups (collectively, the “Medical Group”) to facilitate medical visits through the GoodRx Care platform: HeyDoctor Medical Group, P.C., HeyDoctor Medical Group (FL), P.A., HeyDoctor Medical Group (NJ), P.C., and HeyDoctor Medical Group (KS), P.A. However, the Medical Groups we contract with may change from time to time and employ or contract with physicians and other healthcare professionals to provide virtual medical consultations.
B. Referral Programs
C. European Union Visitors
Please do not use the Services if you are not a resident of the United States. The Services are intended for use only by residents of the United States. Use by visitors from the European Economic Area (or EEA) or the United Kingdom is prohibited.
6. Children’s privacy
The Services are only for users of the age of 18 or older. If you are under the age of 18, please do not attempt to register with us or provide any personal information about yourself to us at any time for the Services. We do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under the age of 13 and we do not direct our services to individuals under the age of 13.
7. Third-party services and websites
We may offer contests, sweepstakes, or promotions sponsored or co-sponsored by third parties. You may choose to participate in such contests, sweepstakes or promotions and provide information requested by such third parties. We have no control over such third parties’ use of such information.
You may also choose, when available, to connect your account with third party accounts, including with third-party social networks. If you share information about your usage of or activities on our Services with such third-party accounts, then the collection, use, and disclosure of such information will be subject to that third party's privacy policies, which may differ from our own. We are not responsible for the practices of such third parties.
8. How do we protect your information?
GoodRx takes information security seriously. We use commercially reasonable efforts to prevent unauthorized third-party access to your information. However, we cannot guarantee that these practices will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use, or disclosure of your information. Please note that we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us over the internet or other electronic means (such as text messages). You use the Services and provide us with your information at your own risk, and we accept no liability for unintentional disclosure.
9. What about changes to this notice?
10. Who can you contact with questions or concerns?
2701 Olympic Blvd.
West Building Suite 200
Santa Monica, CA 90404